Monday, July 2, 2012

THE HOOK

Every author needs a hook.....not the kind Captain Hook threatened Peter Pan's crew with....or the sort you'd use to crochet a blanket with....but more like what you'd find at the end of a fishing rod. But a writer's hook is baited with words, instead of worms, that lure the reader like a helpless fish into the pages of a book.

While sitting upon my front porch during the summer vacation from school, I'd often watch the neighborhood children ride their bikes and rollerskate down the street. I loved reading books, but it would be even better to have a friend to spend time with as well. However, it was highly unlikely the kids would stop their fun just to sit upon a porch with me....unless I had something better then riding bikes and rollerskating to offer them. So, I put on my thinking cap, as I heard Miss Diane from the Romper Room School television show say, and created my first hook.


Along with reading, I also loved to color in a Barbie coloring book. When I finished my masterpiece, I'd write a brief outline in the page's margin. I'd list Barbie's favorite song, flavor icecream, the color of her bedroom walls, her dog's name, her favorite television show, etc. From this outline I created little skits, using sock puppets and paper dolls as characters. Then I began putting on plays while sitting on my front porch. Eventually I got some curious watchers.

Soon the bikes were dropped upon the lawn, skates were removed, and I had everyone's full attention. As time went on, some of the children also wanted to be a part of the show. So, together we'd make their puppet or paper character, and I'd write a spot for them in the play. My hook made for all of us many hours of fun and friendship.

In my time-travel novel, ALTERED JOURNEY, my hero was sent back in time to save his parents from being murdered. Since it was doubtful anyone would listen to a grown man...a stranger telling them of their demise, I had to use another tactic....I needed a unique hook. I then decided to send the hero back as a three year old child, but with a grown man's brain. In this way he would be accepted by his parents, but mentally capable of concocting a plan whereby to save them. As it happens, he came upon his past during the time his mother was potty training him, and weening him from breastfeeding. You can only imagine his humiliation. But he needed to play along in order to save their lives.

HAPPY WRITING.....AND REMEMBER THE HOOK! :)





 



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home