Friday, December 28, 2012

KEEPING A JOURNAL

There's never been a time whereby I haven't kept some sort of journal or diary. It started at the age of twelve, when I received a Barbie diary for Christmas that year. Each night I'd sit in bed before falling asleep and write down the day's dealings. At that age it was only tid-bits on what my sisters and I did, what friend said what at school, trips our family took, or the company we had over to the house for dinner on the weekends.

During my high school years the pages of my five year diary were filled with romantic gossip....what boy I had a crush on, first kiss, prom night, my first job, learning to drive, and graduation all were logged.

After I got married such memories as having my children and what went on in their lives occupied each journal page....pets that came and went, new friends, historical moments in time, and even recording the deaths of loved ones.

Even now I keep a journal, writing down ideas I have for novels to come, keeping notes on research I've complied for future use, and the times I enjoy with my grandchildren. Looking back on the past writings I laugh and cry, the memories precious and heartwarming. But they have also become fuel for characters I create in books.

The character Sophia in my time-travel novel, ALTERED JOURNEY was fashioned after my beautician aunt, and both my maternal and paternal grandmothers. Amanda Gregory, the heroine in my first historical, THE GOLDEN LADY, has beautiful blonde curls and sapphire blue eyes.....as does a favorite cousin.  The villians in my stories have the traits of some of the mean teachers, jealous neighbors, and unfriendly co-workers I've encountered in life and written about in my journals.

I've also found writing each day in some capacity oils the cogs in my brain, in preparation for the made-up stuff I love to create. Sometimes those journal entries have even helped to keep "writers block" away. So, grab yourself a notebook and start journaling. Not only is it fun and a good record of times past, but also a great writing tool.

HAPPY WRITING! :-)

Roberta C.M. DeCaprio
www.robertadecaprio.com


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home